Saturday, September 11, 2010

Transmission

"Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run... about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio."
Hunter S Thompson


I can see where Hunter is coming from with this poetic and memorable quote. I think it conveys the emotions that music can conjure up in someone and if you're a true music fan, and an unstoppable music consumer you will understand it intuitively. George Martin once asked something along the lines of how can one chord make you cry, and yet another chord could fill you with joy? It's a good question and not something that is easily explained. I think music works as a drug and that too much music can in fact devalue it. I'm often searching for new sounds, always searching for the reignition, that pure excitement. For me there is not many things in life that come close to the feelings that music can occasionaly arouse. Maybe musics effect on people is not just a poetic fiction but a neurological fact?

No comments:

Post a Comment